In 1940 the Rush family operated a little drive-in at the edge of their dairy farm in the St. Andrews area. After fire destroyed the small Carolina Dairies building, the Rush family reopened as a drive-up Dairy Queen on the same site.
During those years, Broad River Road was a two-laned thoroughfare to Lake Murray and the upstate. Rush’s successful dairy products and sandwich shop remained a Dairy Queen until the early 1960’s.
Young entrepreneur George Rush expanded the restaurant’s food and service capabilities and changed the name to Rush’s. The blue and orange landmark became known as a popular meeting place that served delicious burgers and shakes.
With the success of Rush’s in the 60’s and 70’s, it was obvious that Columbia was ready for a fast food restaurant that could serve good, fresh, custom made food orders with service that was fast and courteous.
Beginning in 1980, Rush’s began an expansion program with the opening of a restaurant on Decker Boulevard followed by seven more locations through the years. Rush’s service is fast and efficient but not at the expense of quality ingredients and meticulous preparation, therefore our motto: “You’ll LOVE the TASTE we’re made of.”